Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Split-Toning Color Images

Split-toning is normally described as the process of taking a black and white image and adding different color tints to the highlights and shadows. Today, with manipulation software this can easily be done with both B&W images AND color images. This process can create some pretty cool, pretty wacky effects that emulate what can sometimes happen when processing and developing rolls of film.

For the recent FX assignment, I chose to explore the split-toning effect as instructed by one of our handouts.
The process is really rather simple, and it doesn't take long to achieve the intended effect. 

I played around with two different images of mine, and these are my results:
Original Image
Split-Toning in Photoshop                                                        Split-Toning In Lightroom
Original Image
Split-Toning In Photoshop                  Subtle Split-Toning in Photoshop                Split-Toning in Lightroom
Personally, I'm not a fan of the green hue that tends to come across in most images. However, I imagine it works better with some images than it does with others.
For the sake of comparison, I worked with the same image in both Photoshop and Lightroom because you can achieve a split-tone effect with both programs. I think I actually like the split-tone effects that were produced through Lightroom more so than the ones produced in Photoshop.
What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment